January 7th, 2017
How to Root OnePlus One running Cyanogen OS 12 – Working!
How to Root OnePlus One running Cyanogen OS 12 – Working! : So after the release of Oxygen OS for OnePlus One I was waiting for Cyanogen to release CM12S for OnePlus One. Days passed and it was still stuck in certification at Google.
But finally on 10th April 2015, Carl Pei, co-founder OnePlus tweeted that the CM12s had passed certification and tthe Cyanogen team will be rolling out the update as soon as the coming weekdays.
It was only after the roll out started that we came to know that the update is now branded as Cyanogen OS 12.
The name doesn’t matter. The branding had to happen some day or the other as Cyanogen is now a totally commercial company. But let’s not beat around the bush and head straight to the point. In this post I will tell you how to root OnePlus One running Cyanogen OS 12. This is a very easy method and you need have a few requirements completed. Let us see what those requirements are.
- OnePlus One running Cyanogen OS 12 😛
- Bootloader unlocked
- Custom recovery installed – I recommend TWRP
Now if you still haven’t unlocked the bootloader of your OnePlus One and installed any custom recovery, then you need to do it. We will be telling you how in this post itself.
Unlock Bootloader of your OnePlus One
Be warned that unlocking your bootloader will erase every bit of data from your OnePlus One. Contacts, storage, app data etc. Even the internal storage will be wiped. SO TAKE A BACKUP.
I REPEAT, BACK EVERYTHING UP.
Now that you have backed up everything, you are good to go. Follow the procedure carefully.
- On your OnePlus One (OPO) just go to Settings > About Phone > Tap Build Number 7 times.
- This will enable the developer options.
- Now go back into the main settings and navigate to Developer Options.
- Look for an option named USB Debugging and turn it on.
- Now if you do not have ADB drivers installed on your PC then you need to install it right now.
- Click this link to download and check how to install ADB drivers on your PC. Keep the folder safe after installation. We need it.
- Check the troubleshooting section at the end of this post to fix problems with ADB installations if any.
- Now that you have downloaded and installed the ADB drivers, just move to the next step.
- Restart your PC as well as OnePlus One once and now connect your OnePlus One to your PC.
- Now open the folders that contained the ADB drivers.
- Keep the SHIFT button on your keyboard pressed and right click in the window that contains the ADB drivers.
- You will see a option in the right click menu named Open command window here.
- Choose this option and this will start a Command Prompt window running in this very directory.
- Now you have to type this in the command prompt:
- This will start the ADB server on your computer and now look at your phone, unlock it and tap on OK if there’s a prompt on your phone.
- Now type this in the command prompt while the OPO is still connected to your PC via USB cable.
adb reboot bootloader
- This command will reboot your OPO into bootloader mode and now type this in the command prompt.
fastboot oem unlock
- This will unlock your OPO’s bootloader and will delete all the data from it.
- Now that the bootloader is unlocked, just type this command:
- This will reboot the phone. Wait until it is fully booted and then set the device up. We need to enable USB debugging again.
- Go to Settings > About Phone > tap build number again for 7 times.
- Now go to Settings > Developer options > Enable USB Debugging.
- Connect it to your PC using the USB cable and start the ADB command prompt again and authorize USB debugging on your phone again.
This is it. Your OPO’s bootloader is now unlocked.
Now we need to install a custom recovery so let us move to the next section.
Install TWRP on OnePlus One
Installing TWRP is easy. I prefer TWRP over other recoveries because I like the way it works and looks so we will install TWRP.
- Head over to this link and download the latest TWRP image: Download TWRP for OnePlus One
- Now that you have downloaded the image, just copy the img file to the ADB drivers folder.
- Rename the twrp image to recovery.img from whatever name it may be.
- Now keep the SHIFT key on your keyboard pressed and right click and choose the option that says Open command window here.
- Type the following command into the command prompt and this will reboot your OPO into bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Now that the phone is into bootloader mode, just type the following command to flash TWRP.
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- This will take a few seconds and it will flash the recovery on your phone.
- Now type:
- This will reboot the phone in Android system.
- Now go to settings > developer options > Turn on Advanced Reboot.
- This will give you more options in the reboot menu.
- Now long press the power button and tap on reboot.
- Then tap on recovery and the phone will boot into TWRP recovery.
You have successfully unlocked your bootloader and installed custom recovery on your OnePlus One. Now you just have to flash 2 things in order to achieve root on your OnePlus One running Cyanogen OS 12.
Root OnePlus One Running Cyanogen OS 12
Rooting Cyanogen OS 12 is not as simple as it was in Cm11S. We first need to have a debuggable boot.img which I got from Cyanogen servers.
I have compiled a flashable ZIP that contains both the boot.img as well as the SU binary. All you need to do is flash via TWRP. Let us see how to do it.
- Download the debuggable boot.img and SU binary flashable zip:
Make sure you have downloaded everything before proceeding any further.
- Make sure your OPO’s bootloader is unlocked and you have TWRP installed.
- Now m0ve the downloaded flashable zips to your internal SD card.
- I have pasted them into the root of the SD card.
- Reboot into recovery and then follow the further steps.
- Tap on backup to create a system backup you can roll back to just in case.
- Now after you have backed up your data, just go to TWRP home and tap on Install.
- Now first we will flash the boot.img with SU binary so browse to the CM OS 12 Root.zip and flash it.
- Now just tap on Reboot System and your phone will reboot and boot into Android system.
- Now go to Settings > Privacy > Privacy Guard > Enable Privacy Guard.
This is it. This is all you need to do to root your OnePlus One running Cyanogen OS 12.
- If you are facing some problems in installing the ADB drivers, then just refer to this forum post.