January 20th, 2017
How to root Asus Zenfone 2 – The Easy Way!!
Asus Zenfone 2 is the latest smartphone which is introduced by Asus in the Zenfone series. Zenfone 2 is by far the best smartphone which you will get in the Zenfone series. The device comes with a 5.5-inch display screen which is great for viewing movies and playing your favorite games. You will get full HD display which will deliver resolution of 1920 X 1080 pixels. Under the hood of the Asus Zenfone 2 you will get a 2.3 Ghz quad core processor which is Intel Atom Z3580 chipset processor. To deliver the best performance on Asus Zenfone 2 the 4 GB RAM comes into play. Asus Zenfone 2 comes with Android Lollipop v5.0 out of the box.
If you want to install any custom rom or the latest version of Android which is out there i.e. v5.1.1 you can root your device. It is very easy to root Asus Zenfone 2. Follow the step by step guide shared below to root Asus Zenfone 2.
Prerequisites & Downloads
- Your Asus Zenfone 2 smartphone should have more than 80% of battery in it.
- USB drivers of your smartphone should be installed on your PC.
- This tutorial will only work on a Windows PC.
- USB debugging should be enabled. To enable it go to Settings > About Phone > Tap build number 5-8 times. Go back to Settings
- Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools should be installed on your PC. If you are not having them you can have a look at the guide shared below.
- Check the model number of your Asus Zenfone 2 and download the pre-rooted image for your model number. To check model number go to Settings > About Phone > Model name. Download Pre-rooted image from here.
- If the drivers are not installed you can download and install them from here.
- Download Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools
How to install Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools
- From the downloaded folder open 2_setup.exe and start the installation process by following on-screen instructions.
- Once you have installed it go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot (for 64 bit systems) or C:\Program Files\Minimal ADB and Fastboot (for 32 bit systems) and open py_cmd.exe by right clicking on it and selecting Run as Administrator.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and Minimal ADB and Fastboot tools will be installed on your system.
How to root Asus Zenfone 2
You are now ready to root Asus Zenfone 2. Simply follow the step by step guide shared below to root Asus Zenfone 2.
- Extract the downloaded pre-rooted image for your Asus Zenfone 2 and place it on your desktop.
- Connect your Asus Zenfone 2 with your computer using a USB cable.
- Now open command window on your PC. To open command window press Shift Key + Right mouse click and select open command window here This will open command window on your computer.
- Once command window is opened enter the command shared below which will put your device in bootloader mode.
adb reboot bootloader
- Rename the image which you extracted before in Step 1 to img
- Now you have to flash the image on your Asus Zenfone 2. To do this you have to enter the command shared below in the command window.
fastboot flash system system.img
- It will take a couple of minutes to flash the image. Once it is flashed enter the command shared below which will reboot your device.
Your Asus Zenfone 2 smartphone should reboot and will have root access on it.