January 20th, 2017
Custom ROM for Karbonn A18 – SuperStock18
So it has been a long time since I started this blog. Personally I started this blog so that I can build it up and sell it on Flippa.com later. But as I started learning about Android I became obsessed with it. I was an Android fan right from the start. Best thing I liked about Android was that it is Open Source. This is the reason why it is so flexible. There are many famous firmwares based on Android like CyanogenMod, MIUI, LEWA OS and many more.
The Android devs love working hard so they can build the ROM that they dream about. They work on it to make it better and so that the users can get the best experience with their devices.
Inspired by all of these, I decided to build my own ROM for the Karbonn A18. It is a magnificent device by Karbonn. It runs on Android 4.0.3 and gives an awesome experience.
Finally the version 1 of my ROM is ready to be released and I feel very happy to release it. But first I would like to thank some people who helped me and answered all my noobish questions. I am thankful to:
- Meon Rise for the awesome bootanimation
- All the members of the Karbonn A18 Development FB group to support me.
It is time to disclose the features of my ROM. The features may sound pretty basic and normal but trust me guys, it was not that easy to integrate them. I will be adding some more great features in the next version.
Every great building needs a strong foundation!
- Adrenaline Script
- Beats Audio
- Zip Aligned
- New bootanimation
- Project butter
- Google Now
- No more Ads (Adaway)
- Pre rooted and SuperSU
- Smoother and faster
- build.prop tweaks
- init.d support
- JB launcher
I have also removed some apps that can be downloaded from Play Store. Most of them are Google apps like Maps etc.
In order to install the ROM you will need to download the flashable ZIP that is about 199 MB in size. Download it from the below shown button.
You will need to install ClockworkMod on your Karbonn A18 to flash this ROM.
Now that you have downloaded the ROM ZIP to your SD card and also make sure that you have installed clockworkmod, you are all set to move to the procedures.
The steps are quite simple. Please do not try to skip any of these steps or else you will end up with a buggy ROM.
- Let us take a nandroid backup, just in case you need it. Who knows?
- In CWM, go to backups & restore > backup. Your current ROM will be backed up.
- Now to to the main menu of CWM and go to mounts & storage. Choose format /system. It will take some time to format. Move to the next step after it is complete.
- Now again go back to the main menu of CWM and choose wipe data/factory reset. Let it complete.
- Go to Advanced and choose wipe dalvik cache.
- Go back to the main menu of the CWM and choose Install ZIP from SD card.
- Choose the ZIP file names SuperStock18_V1_signed_308.zip and flash it.
- Wait for the procedure to complete.
- After the ZIP file has been flashed successfully, reboot your phone.
- It will take around 3-5 minutes for the first boot. Don’t worry your phone is OK.
- After it boots up complete the setup. It will ask you to grant SuperUser permissions. Tap on Grant.
- After that open the ES file manager which is preinstalled. Open the settings of ES File Manager.
- Choose Root settings and check all the options. You will be asked to grant SuperUser permissions again. Tap Grant.
- Now go back and tap on up.
- Go to /data/app and delete the com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-1.apk.
- Now go to /system/app and delete the com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-1.apk.
- I am really sorry about this but this was a bug that I missed and I will fix this in the next version.
All right! Everything is done. It is time to enjoy the ROM. I would like to know your feedback on this so that I can make this ROM better in the next version.
I also apologize for the bugs.
Here is the Statusbar Mod V1. Just flash it in CWM.
- Widgets need to be chosen twice.
- You tell me more.
I hope you enjoy my work! Please be my critic and I would love to know your views on my first ROM. The XDA thread is here.