August 27th, 2015
Install ClockworkMod on Karbonn A18
About a week back I posted a way to install Google Now on Karbonn A18. It been quite sometime that development of ClockworkMod for Karbonn A18. Finally the way to Install ClockworkMod on Karbonn A18 is being posted here.
Thanks to DhinesuBaabu Thangavelu and Ujjwal Kumar (that’s me!). DhinesuBaabu Thangavelu compiled the CWM image and I edited the recovery.fstab to remove some unwanted elements.
For those who don’t know what ClockworkMod actually is, here’s a small summary:
ClockworkMod, abbreviated as CWM, is a popular custom recovery for Android phones and tablets developed by Koushik Dutta (Koush), a well-known name in the Android dev community. ClockworkMod recovery allows you to perform several advanced recovery, restoration, installation and maintenance operations on your Android device that aren’t possible with the stock recovery.
It is really important to have a custom recovery like ClockworkMod on Karbonn A18 to install custom ROMs on the device. So without any further ado, lets start.
Download the RAR file from the button below and unpack using WinRAR.
To download from Google Drive click on File > Download.
[button link=”http://www.mediafire.com/?5rnpubx4rd77b13″ style=”download”]Download A18 CWM.rar[/button]
Now that you have downloaded the required stuff, we will continue with the installation.
There are two ways to Install ClockworkMod on Karbonn A18.
- Using PC
- Without Using PC.
I’ll be writing the process for both these methods.
By using PC.
First method I’ll write about is the method to Install ClockworkMod on Karbonn A18 via PC. We will need SP Flash tool, MT6575 emmc scatter file and the custom recovery.img.
You will find all this in the A18 CWM.rar you downloaded.
After extraction you will see these files:
Follow these steps properly:
- Switch off the phone and take out the SIM and the battery. THIS IS IMPORTANT.
- Now connect your phone to PC and let Windows recognize it. It will not recognize the drivers, install it manually. The drivers are in the MTK USB VCOM drivers.
- After the install has been completed, disconnect the phone from PC.
- Now open the folder named Flashtool_4.0.
- Start the application named Flash_Tool.
- Click on the Download Agent button and choose the MTK_AllnOne_DA.bin.
- Now load the scatter file by clicking on the Scatter-loading button.
- Your Flash Tool will look like this after both the above files have been loaded.
- Uncheck all elements except RECOVERY.
- Single click on RECOVERY and choose the path where it is located.
- Press F9 or click on the Download button.
- Now the flash tool will start searching for your phone.
- Connect your phone to the PC now with battery and SIM both out.
- The Download procedure will start.
- After the download procedure is complete you will see the new window like this:
- Congrats!! You have just Installed ClockworkMod on Karbonn A18.
- Now put in your battery, SIM card and external SD card and start the phone in recovery mode.
- To start in recovery mode press volume down and power button together until you see the Karbonn logo.
- Now you will see a new recovery interface. Now quickly Wipe Cache partition and you are done!!
Without using PC
- Download the app named Mobileuncle MTK Tools. Download it from Play Store.
- Extract the recovery.img from the A18 CWM.rar you downloaded and transfer it to root of your phone’s internal SD card.
- Now open the Mobileuncle MTK Tools on your phone.
- Mobileuncle MTK Tools will ask you root access via Super User. Allow it.
- Now tap on Recovery Update and you will see the recovery.img.
- Tap on the recovery.img and Mobileuncle MTK Tools will flash it automatically.
- Now reboot into recovery mode and wipe cache and you are done!
Congratulations. You have successfully been able to Install ClockworkMod on Karbonn A18. Have fun modding.
Update: The damaged internal SD card problem is now fixed!!